Suncity chief executive Alvin Chau has personally denied allegations that the company has been operating an online gambling platform with a focus on mainland China customers.
Chau called a press conference on Saturday at the Mandarin Oriental after Chinese state-run media published a report accusing the company of promoting online gambling and proxy betting last week.
The company issued its first official denial last Monday, shortly after the Chinese news came to light.
“For any products that are legally allowed to operate in other countries and regions, the company will not adopt them if the laws of Macau do not allow it and will strictly adhere to the law in Macau,” said Chau at the press conference.
In his statement, Chau said the group “deeply apologized” for the inconvenience caused to the Macau and the possible negative impact on the other Macau gaming concessionaires.
“We hope that the concerns generated in both mainland China and the Macau SAR will be eased,” he added.
The chief executive said that no action will be taken against any media for the incident.
Chau did not take any questions from the media and left shortly after finishing his prepared speech.
Last week, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau called a meeting with its gaming concessionaires and junkets, stressing the need to adhere to local and foreign laws on gambling.
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264