Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Visitor arrivals to fall short of estimates in 2019


MGTO Director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said that visitor arrival will likely fall short of the 40 million visitor arrival estimate, which was made earlier in the year, local media reports. 

Fernandes made the comments on the sidelines of an event for small businesses last Thursday.

According to the latest government data shows visitor arrivals have reached 33.4 million in the first 10 months of the year, up 15.3 percent year-on-year. 

Fernandes said the growth is attributed to the impact of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, but noted that tourist numbers had started to taper off in November. 

Fernandes previously said she expects a drop in visitor numbers in November. 

“I believe that in November we will see, for the first time, a decrease in visitor arrivals. I also believe that we all witnessed a decrease in visitors of the Macau Grand Prix last month,” she said. 

Looking into the first half of 2020, Fernandes said she has not seen any obvious indications of an additional surge in tourism growth, noting that the surge experienced this year is likely the result of the opening of the HZMB. 

Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.

3rd party / Cookies
Show settings
Contact us

ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264

Asia Gaming Brief