The Baha Mar resort casino is scheduled to open to the public in the second quarter of 2017, according to Bahamas Prime Minister Perry Christie.
On Friday, Mr. Christie revealed that Hong Kong-based conglomerate Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE), would begin “a phased opening” of Baha Mar in April.
The opening will see at least 700 of the property’s total 1,800 hotel rooms available.
Perry said CTFE would invest US$200 million in “pre-opening festivities” and final revisions to the unfinished property.
The Hong Kong conglomerate also planned to hire 1,500 employees in the new year, while 4,300 will be hired by December 2017 “when all components [of Baha Mar] have been completed and opened”, he said.
Last week, CTFE submitted its proposal for the acquisition of Baha Mar.
The Hong Kong-based conglomerate first announced it had entered into negotiations for the ownership of Baha Mar in late October.
The initial projected cost of Baha Mar is US$3.5 billion.
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264