Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance Lionel Leong Vai Tac said the government will stick to its decision to not allow the average annual growth rate of the city’s gaming tables to exceed three percent.
“The government sticks to its position that the average annual growth rate in the number of gaming tables will not be higher than three percent…it will be in place for 10 years from 2013,” Leong was quoted as saying by Macau News at the annual spring reception hosted by the Macau Monetary Authority.
He added that the government would consider various factors when analyzing gaming operators’ table applications such as the percentage of non-gaming features in the project.
The finance secretary added that the government has received one application from a gaming operator asking for more gaming tables at its Cotai property due to open next month.
“We are still analysing the application…now is not the right time to say how many more gaming tables the government will approve,” Leong said.
Though Leong declined to name the casino operator, Galaxy is the only company slated to open new gaming facilities next month.
Galaxy Entertainment Group has announced that the grand opening of its “New Chapter of Galaxy Macau and Broadway Macau” twin project will take place on May 27.
Galaxy said in January that its gaming facilities included in its second development phase would require about 500 gaming tables.
The number of gaming tables run by Macau’s six operators in 35 casinos was 5,711 at the end of last year, down 39 tables from the end of 2013, according to the Gaming Inspection and Co-ordination Bureau.
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264