The chief operating officer of Resorts World Manila says the company will be giving up to P1 million (US$20,260) to each of the families of those who were killed in Friday’s casino attack, local media reports.
Stephen Reilly made the announcement to journalists in Manila on Sunday.
The Philippine police have identified the lone gunman as Jessie Carlos, a problem gambler in his 40s who previously worked for the Finance Department.
As a result of the attack, Travellers International Hotel Group Inc., which operates Resorts World Manila, has suspended gaming and some hotel operations until after the probe of the incident is conducted.
“We are currently focused on ensuring that the victims, both injured individuals and the families of the deceased, are being assisted and well taken care of,” the company said in a Monday statement.
“Our company’s position is to voluntarily suspend operations in affected facilities [especially gaming areas] until all investigations are concluded by the [Philippine National Police] and [Bureau of Fire Protection] and safety is certified by appropriate authorities,” it added.
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264