Friday, August 12, 2022

Govt should demand more from gaming concessionaires: Pansy Ho


With the 2022 licensing renewal process getting closer, businesswoman Pansy Ho told Lusa that the government should demand more from their gaming concessionaires, local media reports.

Currently, there are six concessionaires and sub-concessionaires that operate in Macau, including SJM Holdings, Galaxy, Sands China, Melco Resorts, Wynn Macau and MGM China.

While much of the discussions have revolved around the number of concessionaires that will be allowed come 2022, Ms. Ho said the focus should instead be around what each potential operator can bring to the city and its diversification efforts. 

“All who come forward have to demonstrate that they are capable of bringing” something extra to Macau, she said, quoted by Macau Business. 

To that effect, Ms. Ho said that SJM has already been working on a strategy for the future licensing process.

“We are going to go through a bidding process in the next two to three years and that is why it is more critical now that the company has the right direction and a well-defined strategy for the future,” Pansy Ho said, referring to her recent and on-going joust for control of SJM Holdings.

Earlier this year, the Macau government warned that future concessionaires in Macau will be required to promote other industries and take on more social responsibilities - which will be taken into account in the 2022 public tender. 

Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.

3rd party / Cookies
Show settings
Contact us

ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264

Asia Gaming Brief