Universal Hotel and Resorts Inc (UHRI) is reportedly pushing ahead with the groundbreaking for its P18 billion (US$337.4 million) integrated resort and casino in Cebu next week, despite orders from Duterte to stop building casinos, Philstar reports.
On Monday, Francisco Fernandez, the executive assistant to the Cebu City Mayor, said the integrated resort owned by John Gokongwei will hold its groundbreaking on August 25.
In November last year, the Cebu City Council endorsed an application for UHRI to develop an integrated resort and casino facility in Cebu’s South Road Properties.
In March, Gokongwei committed to giving P18 billion to develop the casino resort.
“He wants to be here in the groundbreaking,” said Fernandez said on Monday.
“They're in a hurry to do it. They already want to start construction and they’re going to apply for permit and such,” he added.
Earlier this month, the groundbreaking ceremony for Landing’s $1.5 billion integrated resort was dampened after Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte sacked the entire board of Landing’s local partner and ordering a review of the land lease deal.
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264