US casino operator Caesars Entertainment says it has seen a slight downturn in visitation from Asian guests following the October 1 shooting in Las Vegas.
Caesars President and CEO Mark Frissora told a group of investors in New York on Tuesday that it could take up to three or four months before some players may make their way back to the Strip.
“It’s fair to say we are cautiously optimistic about the rebound,” said Frissora, quoted by Las Vegas Review Journal.
“We think that occupancy rates across the Strip took a little bit of a hit the first day, the first week into the second week, but then every week it seems to change and improve.”
Frissora said that casino play by Asian customers had been down.
“The biggest, I think, from an impact standpoint, that we’ve seen is Asian play has actually been less because people in Asia are very respectful of the deaths that occurred and they believe there should be a period of mourning and they wait for that period of mourning before they’ll return,” Frissora said.
“I don’t want to say that I know exactly what Asians think is a period of mourning that’s appropriate, but I’ve heard that it’s sometimes a period of three months, four months, in that range.”
Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.
ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264