Tuesday, April 16, 2024 - Login

Duterte extends Luzon lockdown


Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has agreed to extend a lockdown on the island of Luzon, which includes the Metro Manila region, through to April 30th.

The enhanced community quarantine order had been due to be lifted from April 14th. 

“Once again I am asking the utmost cooperation of the public in these trying times. Let us heed the needs of our poor brothers and sisters who are hit most by the pandemic,” he told the nation in a televised address on Monday night, which was posted by the Presidential Communications Operations Office. 

The Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. shut down the country’s casinos for a month from mid-March as a result of the quarantine order to fight the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. At the time, the regulator said the closures would remain in force for as long as the quarantine order was in place.

The extension to April 30th applies to Luzon island, which will incorporate the casinos in Entertainment City and metro Manila, as well as those in the Clark Freeport Zone.

 

Asia Gaming Brief is a news and intelligence service providing up to date market information for worldwide executives on relevant gaming issues in Asia.

Contact us

ASIA GAMING BRIEF
PO Box 1139, Macau SAR
Tel: +853 2871 7267
Fax: +853 2871 7264

Asia Gaming Brief